Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Daydreamer

Day Dreamer

Just outside the cabin, in a small clearing, I sit in silence; waiting for the morning sun. Slowly, she rises from behind the mountain, and with each breath of light, summons wilderness to dawn.
Down from the mountain, a calm, gentle summer wind whispers through evergreens that tower rivers’ edge; while cool, mountain water flows over rocks, polished by her course. And like the thousand years before, the river sends soft ripples to shore. Pausing in the shadows, she silently moves on.
In the distance, a morning dove coo’s a melody in percussion with the sweet sound of a Mockingbird, and together they chime a romancing ballad, harmonizing wind and river. And just beyond the glade, in a meadow, a doe strolls with fawn, in silent-dance, taking heed of their presence and regard for their purpose in nature’s symphony.


Just then, a loud obnoxious BLAST! …Beep! Beep! A car honks! My mobile phone rings! And a jet flies overhead. Simultaneously, my eyes fly open, feet hit the floor. My mind discharges lame excuses for absence from, WHO - KNOWS – WHERE! “Hey daydreamer,” a familiar voice yells from the street. “Snap out of it. We’re late.” My body responds with reactive contortions, adjusting quickly to the call of reality. Hastily, I don my techno-face, grab the half-soaked paper from the unmowed lawn and squeeze into the car. “Oh well,” I shrug, shedding my melodic mood and fantasy of a cabin in the woods, “I guess its back to the grind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment