Friday, September 30, 2011

I’ll do the dishes, not all, just some; I make the coffee and feed the dog.
Or maybe I go to “Peet’s Coffee,” and order a large Latte and the girl will ask “Can I help you?” And I'll say no, but I'll take a large latte." And she'll say “It’ll be a second, the machine is warming.” And I’ll think – I guess they don’t really open at six. And then she’ll turn and do the dishes, not all just some, and we’ll wait.
And then I merge, and the sun rises and I think how lucky I am. And then I think about other places and other people and how one man’s sunrise is another man’s sunset. And then I think, while I drive, that someone, someplace is lying on a beach soaking in the sun. And then I think about someone, someplace lying on the ground soaking in blood. And then I think about their father and I wonder, if he’s anything like me. Did he wake up this moringing and do dishes, not all just some, did he make coffee and feed the dog…

No comments:

Post a Comment