Monday, May 3, 2010

A lesson in Compassion

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I saw an old man; he was humbly dressed, wearing a red hat and sweeping a driveway. I thought to myself – I wonder if it’s his house (it was a nice house) or is he just the gardener/caretaker. Then I saw a young girl sitting on the steps of the house watching the old man sweeping. So then I figured he must be the grandfather. And then I saw a homeless-man shuffle by the house. Without hesitation, the old man stopped sweeping, reached in his pocket and pulled out a dollar, and gave it to the homeless guy. The old man just gave – no thought, no hesitation; it was the unconditional nature of the man. He went back to sweeping and the little girl went back to watching him sweep. And then I thought – Oh! I get it! A random act of kindness, etched into the memory of his granddaughter – Compassion. The old man is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment